Promotion of Horticulture
The purpose of this project is to illustrate, interpret, emphasize and promote youth in the horticulture field.
Examples of this include promoting or publicizing plant products such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, flowers, turf, woody ornamentals, etc.
Who Can Participate
Individuals ages 5-22 may participate in one of four age categories:
A. 5-9 year olds
B. 10-14 year olds
C. 15-18 year olds
D. 19-22 year olds (along with previous Grand National Award Winners)
Individuals only; no teams.
Participants will prepare an advertisement example that could be used to help promote and publicize horticulture to consumers. These advertisements will be submitted electronically for judging.
Participants may decide what type of promotional medium to use. They may decide to create a: 1. poster; 2. radio clip; or 3. video clip.
Poster Contest Themes
2016 – Fruit Bowl
Posters: Participant is allowed to create a poster in a physical format, but will only be accepted if scanned and submitted electronically.
Video Clip: Participant must finalize and submit video clips in MP4, WMV, AVI, or MOV format to be accepted. Videos must be 30 to 90 seconds in length.
Radio Clip: Participant must finalize and submit radio clips in MP3, WMA, or WAV format to be accepted. Radio clips must be 30 to 90 seconds in length.
The following rules apply to all divisions:
1. No individual will be allowed to submit the same promotional medium in successive years.
2. If a submission is not user ready and problems arise when judging, the promotional medium will not be judged.
Message – 50%
Visual/Audio Effects – 30%
Originality – 10%
Universal Appeal – 10%
1. Drawing must be on standard 8 ½ x 11 in. paper.
2. Only one entry per participant (no limit on the number of entries from any state)
3. The artist’s name, age (as of Dec. 31 of the current year), date of birth, address, and the current year’s theme should be placed on the back of the entry.
4. The drawing must be an original work based on the current year’s theme.
5. Each entry must submit a self-addressed stamped envelope. If submitting an entire class, club or group, submit a self-addressed 9 ½ x 12 ½ in. envelope with $3.00 in postage along with entries. Because of the popularity of this contest and the lack on the entry fee, entries lacking proper postage will not be acknowledged. Results will be mailed.
6. Entries become the property of the National Junior Horticulture Association and will not be returned. NJHA reserves the right to use any and all entries for publicity purposes.
7. Entries must be postmarked by September 15 of the current contest year and mailed to Debbie Gegare, 830 East Apple Ridge Drive, Janesville, WI 53545
8. Failure to comply with any of the contest rules will result in disqualification.
National Award Winners: One contestant may be chosen to receive a medal in each division and age category. National Award Winners are eligible to return for competition the following year in the same division and age category.
Grand National Award Winner: One contestant may be chosen to receive a medal in each division and age category. The Grand National Award winner is not eligible for further competition in the same division and age category. A Grand National Award Winner in the 15-18 year old category may return the following year in the 19-22 year old (advanced) division, even though he or she may not be 19 years old. Only Grand National winners in the 15-18 and 19-22 age categories may receive a cash award up to $100.00.
If there are no entries or entries are not of sufficient quality, an award may not be given.
NJHA Alumni President
591 W. 11th Avenue
Eugene, OR 97401
Contest Registration (Form I)