To stimulate an interest in the use of digital imaging in horticulture.
Who Can Participate
8 – 22 years old, individuals only. Age divisions are: 8 – 14 and 15 – 22 years old (as of Dec. 31 of current year). All award winners in any class are eligible to enter in any class the following year. Best of Show winner is also eligible to enter in a class the following year.
A. Single Unedited — B & W or color, maximum size = 12 x 14 inches, including matting/mounting. Picture comes straight from the camera without a modification.
B. Single Slightly Edited — B & W or color, maximum size = 12 x 14 inches, including matting/mounting. Image has been somewhat digitally edited or enhanced. Modifications may include: cropping, sharpening or blurring, brightness or contrast changes, or the addition of text to the image. Thumbnail of the original image shall accompany the exhibit. Thumbnail must be minimum of 2 x 2 inches. Participants must describe editing technique(s) used on entry page.
C. Single Heavily Edited — B & W or color, maximum size = 12 x 14 inches, including matting/mounting. Image has been radically edited or enhanced. Modifications may include: addition to or the removal of parts of the image, changes in the color scheme of the image, the use of filters or effects; or animation using digital images, etc. Thumbnail of the original image shall accompany exhibit. Thumbnail must be a minimum of 2 x 2 inches. Participants must describe editing techniques(s) on entry page.
D. Sequence of Four — B & W or color digital images that tell a visual story without the use of words. All four photos should be mounted on one board/mat not to exceed 16 x 16 inches or 9 x 25 inches. If edited images are used, thumbnails of the image shall accompany the exhibit. Participants must describe editing techniques(s) used on entry page.
E. Horticulture Collection — B & W or color, consisting of 6 photographs. All 6 photos should be mounted on one board/mat not to exceed 16 x 20 inches. If edited images are used, thumbnails of the image shall accompany the exhibit.Participants must describe editing technique(s) used on entry page.
Each entry must:
1. Have been taken with a digital camera.
2. Have been taken by the participant within 12 months before it is entered.
3. Include an entry form COMPLETED BY THE EXHIBITOR, and 4 x 6 inches or enlarged and mounted photograph(s) suitable for display. An entry form follows the project descriptions. If the exhibit is unable to complete the form without assistance, this should be documented and noted by the assisting individual.
4. All entries must be accompanied by a PC compatible CD or USB flash drive containing the unedited image and edited image if applicable.
5. On back of mounting, image must be labeled with class, title, exhibitor’s name, age, and state.
6. All exhibits should be titled with a caption to assist the judges/viewers in interpreting the image. Title may be on entry or just listed on entry form.
- Participants are limited to one entry per class.
- Individuals are strongly encouraged to submit works that best showcase their digital imaging skills.
- Photos should be matted and mounted only, and not be in a frame. Photos in a frame will not be accepted or judged.
- If participants do not complete the correct entry form for the Digital Imaging division, they will be automatically disqualified.
- Plagiarism: Images determined to be reproduced from another source by judges will be disqualified from competition.
- Submitted entries become the property of NJHA and will not be returned to exhibitor. Entries may be used for publicity purposes.