On August 22, 1935, the first convention of NJVGA (Now NJHA) was held in Hartford, Connecticut. It was a one day event, with seventy-four members from Massachusetts, New York and Connecticut participated. The state of Massachusetts won the contest.
In 1942, the convention was increased to four days. During the period of 1940 to 1953, the administration of the Association was carried on by a committee of five to seven adults and the Junior Executive Committee. In 1958, the Judging, grading and identification Contest branched out with a 4-H, FFA division in addition to the Open Division. In 1953, the National Junior Vegetable Growers Foundation was established and incoporated under the Laws of the state of Delaware on January 6, 1953. The name was changed to National Junior Horticultural Association in 1964. The Achievement and Leadership Project was added in 1965 and the Experimental Horticulture Project began in 1966.
We are growing, living parts of the earth.
We are conscious of our desire to cultivate our horticultural abilities
And find comfort in sharing this knowledge.
We make our way together on a separate path,
Yet all in the same direction.
We are the National Junior Horticultural Association and we accept the challenge of being horticultural leaders of tomorrow.
The focus of NJHA is summed up with the acronym HYCEL.